Agencies – Kuwait’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Al Jarallah has confirmed his country’s willingness to receive delegations from all Yemeni sides in the future if and when peace talks are agreed on.
“As Kuwait celebrated the 26th anniversary of its liberation earlier this year, all of us remember the sacrifices offered by Saudi Arabia since the first day of the liberation war,” acting Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamed Al-Sabah said on Monday.
Three months of UN-brokered talks — which were hosted in Kuwait — failed to make headway.
On Monday, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Al-Assiri, Coalition spokesman and adviser to Saudi minister of defense, said the Saudi-led coalition fighting in support of Yemen’s government would prefer a broad political settlement to a ceasefire.
“I think now it’s not a question of talking about a ceasefire,” Assiri told AFP.
Late on Sunday a Houthi rebel leader Saleh Al-Sammad, proposed a truce on the country’s border with Saudi Arabia in exchange for a halt in Saudi-led air strikes on his forces.
Assiri said the coalition welcomes “any effort to have a genuine political settlement” under a peace initiative proposed last month by US Secretary of State John Kerry.
This is preferable to a “short ceasefire without any control, without any observation,” he said.
Previous truces in the 18-month war collapsed.