Al Arabiya News – Daesh (ISIS) claimed responsibility for an explosion which killed the governor of Yemen’s southern Aden province on Sunday.
In a statement posted on a messaging service, the group said it detonated an explosives-laden car as Jaafar Mohammed Saad’s convoy was passing in a western district of Aden.
Residents and security sources earlier said that Saad was killed in a rocket-propelled grenade attack on his convoy.
They said the huge explosion killed six of his bodyguards in Tawahi district of Aden city.
Authorities are investigating the exact cause of the explosion.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief the media.
Bystanders present at the scene posted videos on social media of the destroyed vehicle.
Pro-government forces backed by a Saudi-led coalition drove Shiite Houthi militias out of Aden earlier this year. A local Al-Qaeda affiliate has exploited the chaos of Yemen’s conflict to seize territory in the country’s south and east, and has a growing presence in Aden.