Saudi Gazette – No orders have been issued to villagers along the southern border region to evacuate and move to distant areas, according to Abdullah Al-Suwaid, undersecretary of the governorate here. He categorically denied reports that orders had been issued to the villagers to move further into the country’s interior for their safety and said villagers were determined to stay right where they are, in complete defiance of any war risks.
“The inhabitants of all the villages along the southern border region close to Yemen are living normally and enjoying complete security and stability,” he said.
The undersecretary said the leadership is deeply concerned about the safety of the villagers and is closely following up the situation in these areas. The villagers, on their part, are determined not to leave their homes unless they are ordered by the government. They said they will remain put and will fight alongside the military forces if war breaks out in their areas. Many villagers said they were going about their daily routines as usual and are even building new homes amid the roars of warplanes during their reconnaissance flights.
“I am building a new house for me and my family. I will not stop construction because I am confident that the armed forces will protect me if anything happens,” said Mohammed Al-Hamdi, a villager.
“Our brave military men stationed along the border will protect us and our country against any aggression,” he added.
Director of Civil Defense in Najran, Maj. Gen. Ayed Bin Jamaan Al-Ghamdi said his forces have competed all necessary arrangements and are ready to deal with any emergency situation.
“We have made consummate plans to deal promptly with any emergency situation that may arise from any fighting along our border,” he said.
The command of the Border Guard in Asir Province said its men are on full alert 24/7 to protect the southern border region against any possible attacks by Houthi rebels.
“No invader, infiltrator or smuggler will ever be able to enter into the Kingdom from its Southern border with Yemen,” a Border Guard commander said on condition of anonymity.
Meanwhile, Yahya Otaif, spokesman of the department of education in Jazan said a decision will be made today (Thursday) on the resumption of schools in the region. All schools in towns and villages along the southern border areas near Yemen have been closed as a precautionary measure since March 25 with the start of Operation Decisive Storm.
Otaif said the department has reached out to the Ministry of Education on the issue and is waiting for a reply which will most probably be made within 24 hours.
Under the slogan “Proud Home, Brave King”, a number of male and female students in Asir wrote messages to officers and soldiers stationed along the border region. Many of the young pupils expressed pride and happiness that their fathers were among the military personnel stationed along the border.